Saturday 5 February 2011

Learning how to rig

One of my tasks throughout the ongoing project is to create the skeleton and rigging for the Imp character. From what I've heard about rigging being complex, hard work and frustrating at times I thought I best try and get a hard start on it. The faster I can finish the rig, the faster Aaron can start to animate. I've had little to no experience in rigging. From memory it was one brief lecture with Paul which covered the absolute basics such as creating joints and parenting. Obviously Paul couldn't teach the 30 strong class how to rig as like all of maya its not exactly microsoft paint were talking about.

I had a rough character i thought i might use as a practice run and i followed the tutorials and instructions in one of the official maya training books. Found below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Autodesk-Maya-2010-Foundation/dp/1897177550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296916881&sr=8-1



Here is my progress so far on my practice model.
Shown above is just skeletal rigging using the joint tool and parenting each joint in the hiearchy.

I'll try and keep posting a bit more regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment